Competitive (9%) Housing Tax Credits
The TDHCA Housing Tax Credit (HTC) Program is one of the primary means of directing private capital toward the development and preservation of affordable rental housing for low-income households. Tax credits are awarded to eligible participants to offset a portion of their federal tax liability in exchange for the production or preservation of affordable rental housing. There are two types of Tax Credits: Competitive (9% ) and Non-Competitive (4%). The below information corresponds to the 9% Housing Tax Credit round, which is highly competitive and awarded based on a Regional Allocation Formula (RAF) with additional set asides for developments at risk of losing affordability and subsidy, developments financed through USDA, and those with nonprofit owners. Applications are scored and ranked within their region or set-aside and in accordance with rules and laws outlined in the Qualified Allocation Plan (QAP). For more information on the Competitive Tax Credit process and current application cycle FAQs, visit the FAQs page.
Apply for Funds
Visit the Apply for Funds page for the Pre-Application, Uniform Multifamily Application, and supplemental program materials needed to complete your application. Visit the NOFAs and Rules page for the Uniform Multifamily Rules and Qualified Allocation Plan detailing scoring, threshold, and other requirements.
Current Application Cycle Information
2015 9% HTC Pre-Applications
- + 2015 9% HTC Pre-Application Logs by date (XLS format) - reveals a new section
- + 2015 9% Individually Imaged Pre-Applications (PDF format)- reveals a new section
For Non-Competitive (4%) Housing Tax Credit information, visit the 4% Housing Tax Credit page. If you are a Neighborhood Organization looking for the QCP packet or information regarding public comment, please visit the Community Information page.
Additional Guidance and Resources
Additional reference materials for applicants and awardees are included below. For information regarding public hearings and TDHCA Board meetings, please visit the Community Information page. For forums and recent announcements, please visit the Announcements & Forums page. For a list of upcoming events and trainings, please review the Events Calendar.
- Neighborhood Organizations on Record with the Department as of the beginning of the 2015 Application Acceptance Period (PDF) (January 2, 2015)
- 2015 HTC Site Demographic Characteristics Report (Per Capita Census Tract Eligibility) (XLS) as of November 13, 2014 Board Meeting
- 2015 HTC Award Limits and Estimated Regional Allocation (PDF) (December 1, 2014)
- HTC Property Inventory (XLS) as of November 13, 2014 Board Meeting
- HTC Rent and Income Limits
- HTC Consultants List (PDF)
For Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on the current Application cycle, visit the FAQs page.
Post Award Guidance
Visit Asset Management for due dates and items pertaining to the 10% Test, Owner Transfer Information, Amendment Requests, and Cost Certification. Visit the Compliance page for monitoring guidelines, Annual Owner's Compliance Report information, and the Income and Rent tool.