Non-Competitive (4%) Housing Tax Credits
The Housing Tax Credit (HTC) Program is one of the primary means of directing private capital toward the development and preservation of affordable rental housing for low-income households. The tax credits are awarded to eligible participants and provide a source of equity financing for the development of affordable housing. Investors in qualified affordable multifamily residential developments can use the HTCs as a dollar-for-dollar reduction of federal income tax liability. The value associated with the HTCs allows housing to be leased to qualified families at below market rate rents. The Non-Competitive (4%) Housing Tax Credit program is coupled with the Multifamily Bond Program when the bonds finance at least 50% of the cost of the land and buildings in the Development. There are a variety of bond issuers (PDF) in the State from which to select, with some limitations on the location of the development. For more information, visit the FAQs page. For bond issuer or bond information, visit the Multifamily Bonds page.
Apply for Funds
Visit the Apply for Funds page for the Uniform Multifamily Application and supplemental program materials needed to complete your application. Visit the NOFAs and Rules page for the Uniform Multifamily Rules and Qualified Allocation Plan detailing scoring, threshold, and other requirements.
Current Application Cycle Information
2015 4% HTC Applications
Additional Guidance and Resources
Additional reference materials for applicants and awardees are included below. For information regarding public hearings and TDHCA Board meetings, please visit the Community Information page. For forums and recent announcements, please visit the Announcements & Forums page. For a list of upcoming events and trainings, please review the Events Calendar.
- HTC Award Limits and Estimated Regional Allocation (PDF)
- HTC Property Inventory (XLS) as of January 28, 2016 Board Meeting
- HTC Rent and Income Limits
- 2015 HTC Site Demographic Characteristics Report (Per Capita Census Tract Eligibility) (XLS) as of November 13, 2014 Board Meeting
- HTC Consultants List (PDF)
- Local Housing Finance Corporation Contact List (PDF)
Post Award Guidance
Visit Asset Management for due dates and items pertaining to Owner Transfer Information, Amendment Requests, and Cost Certification. Visit the Compliance page for monitoring guidelines, Annual Owner's Compliance Report information, and the Income and Rent tool.
- 2016 Post Bond Closure Submission Packet (PDF)
- 2015 Post Bond Closure Submission Packet (PDF)
- 2014 Post Bond Closure Submission Packet (PDF) or (DOC)
- Agreement and Election Statement (DOC) or (PDF)
- HTC Status Report – Contracts with Minority Owned Businesses (PDF form)