Disaster Related Casualty Loss
The information on this page is intended for use by owners of multifamily rental housing property funded by the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
Individuals in need of assistance may find local resources on TDHCA’s Help for Texans page at https://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/texans.htm.
Federal Disaster Declarations
Severe Winter Storms
- Map of Designated Counties: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4586
- List of Designated Areas: https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4586/designated-areas
Historical Texas Federal Disaster Declarations: https://www.fema.gov/states/texas
Recapture Relief for Casualty Losses as a Result of Presidentially Declared Disaster
Additional Information and Resources
FEMA Individual Assistance (IA)
Disaster assistance for homeowners and renters may include grants to help pay for temporary housing and essential home repairs, as well as other serious disaster-related needs such as medical and dental expenses.
Individuals and households in federally declared disaster areas are eligible to register for disaster assistance from FEMA.
- Online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov
- Via the FEMA mobile app, available at fema.gov/mobile-app
- Phone (800) 621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service) 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily, TTY (800) 462-7585.
- At a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). Find your nearest DRC at fema.gov/drc
More information on FEMA Individual Assistance:
- Visit https://www.fema.gov/individual-disaster-assistance
- Fact sheet: https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/24945
FEMA Public Assistance (PA)
FEMA Public Assistance may be available to State, Local, Tribal and Territorial governments and certain private-non-profit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities. Eligible work is classified into the following categories:
- Emergency Work
- Category A: Debris removal
- Category B: Emergency protective measures
- Permanent Work
- Category C: Permanent Work
- Category D: Water control facilities
- Category E: Public buildings and contents
- Category F: Public utilities
- Category G: Parks, recreational, and other facilities
For more information about FEMA Public Assistance read the fact sheet at https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1534520705607-3c8e6422a44db5de4885b516b183b7ce/PublicAssistanceFactSheetJune2017_Updated2018.pdf
FEMA Hazard Mitigation Program
The FEMA Hazard Mitigation Program supports mitigation measures that reduce the risk of loss of life and property from future disasters.
For more information about the FEMA Hazard Mitigation Program visit https://www.fema.gov/hazard-mitigation-grant-program