Texas Department of Housing & Community Affairs - Building Homes and Strengthening Communities

Homeowner Mortgage Assistance is here!

Need help with past due mortgage, tax, insurance, or HOA payments? Apply online at TexasHomeownerAssistance.com

The Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) was established under the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 to ease financial hardships associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.

HAF provides assistance to eligible homeowners to help avoid mortgage delinquencies, defaults, foreclosures, and help prevent the displacement of homeowners experiencing financial hardship after January 21, 2020. The U.S. Department of the Treasury (Treasury) has posted guidance on HAF at https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/136/HAF-Guidance.pdf.

The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) will administer $842,214,006 under HAF.

This new mortgage assistance program is currently taking applications statewide as of 3/2/2022.

Join TDHCA email list for program announcements and to learn when the application portal opens.

TDHCA’s TXHAF plan has been approved by the US Treasury.

Steps you can take today

  1. Understand your mortgage
    Relief options are determined by your mortgage type.
  2. Contact your loan servicer to learn what is available to you and what documents you need.
    Even federally backed loans require the process of forbearance to start with your loan servicer, which is the company to which you submit your payment each month.
  3. Contact your closest Housing Counseling Agency for additional guidance and budgeting.

Guidance on forbearance comes at no cost to you!

Texas Homeowners Assistance Fund Intake Centers, Housing Counseling Services and Legal Services NOFA and Application

TDHCA is pleased to announce a Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA) of $12,700,000 funds for Private Nonprofit Organizations with 501(c) status, Public Housing Authorities, Units of General Local Government, and Regional Councils of Governments who are proposing to serve as intake centers providing application assistance, legal services, and/or housing counseling services to homeowners. Applications are due Thursday, December 15, 2022.

Texas Homeowner Assistance Fund Intake Centers, Housing Counseling Services, and Legal Services NOFA (PDF)

Attachments are posted separately at https://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/HAF-Announcement.htm as fillable MS Excel documents (XLSX).

Subrecipient Activities

Program Guidance and Regulations

Mandatory Onboarding Training

Program Forms


Monthly Performance and Expenditure Reporting

Subscribe to E-mail Lists

For more Subrecipient Activities information, please contact txhfsa@tdhca.state.tx.us

More helpful sites: