Help for Texans
- If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, please visit our Help for Texans page.
HOME Disaster Relief
The Texas HOME Disaster Relief Program is a long-term housing program designed to serve income eligible households impacted by disasters.
HOME Disaster Relief Funds
- HOME Disaster Relief funds are available to assist with federal or state declared disasters, or other natural or man-made disasters that may occur.
- The Department's practice is to maintain a HOME Disaster Relief Fund balance of $1 million whenever possible.
- Current available funding amounts can be found on the HOME Reservation Summary page at http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/home-division/home-reservation-summary.htm.
- These funds can be accessed to support impacted households not located in communities that receive HOME funds directly from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (“HUD”).
- See the “communities that are generally ineligible for TDHCA HOME funding (PDF)” link at http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/home-division/index.htm
Eligible HOME Disaster Relief Applicants
- Units of local government, nonprofit organizations, and Public Housing Authorities
HOME Disaster Relief Funding Process
- Eligible applicants can apply for access to disaster relief funding through a Reservation System application
- HOME Program application materials are available at http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/home-division/applications.htm
- HOME funds are reimbursed based on eligible costs incurred; there are no “up-front” funds for anticipated costs
- Communities with existing HOME Reservation System Participant (“RSP”) Agreements may request an amendment to add the Disaster Relief set-aside
- Contact the HOME Program staff for more resources and assistance with applying for and administering HOME Disaster Relief funds
Eligible HOME Disaster Relief Activities
HOME Rehabilitation, Reconstruction
HOMEowner Rehabilitation Assistance (HRA) Program
- Home rehabilitation, reconstruction, or replacement of a manufactured housing unit.
- Support is provided in the form of a grant agreement or deferred forgivable loan, contingent upon the type of HRA housing assistance.
Tenant-Based Rental Assistance (TBRA)
- Rental subsidies for up to 24 months while the household engages in a self-sufficiency program; may include security and utility deposit.
- Support is provided in the form of a grant to eligible households.
HOMEbuyer Assistance Program (HOME HBA)
- Down payment and closing cost assistance of up to $20,000 per household for the purchase of a home.
- Support is provided as a deferred forgivable loan to qualified home buyers.
Eligible HOME Disaster Relief Beneficiaries
- Households earning at or below 80% Area Median Family Income (“AMFI”) as defined by HUD;
- Must meet all applicable HOME Program requirements; and
- Must have been directly affected by the disaster.