- Report potential fraud, waste or abuse by landlords or tenants of TDHCA-monitored properties visit TDHCA’s File a Complaint page.
Report Fraud, Waste, and Abuse by TDHCA’s Management, Staff, and Contractors
Please report suspected fraud, waste or abuse by management and staff of the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs to the Texas State Auditor’s Office (“SAO”):
State Auditor's Office
Attn: Investigations and Audit Support
P.O. Box 12067
Austin, TX 78711-2067
Call Toll Free: 1-800-TX-AUDIT (1-800-892-8348)
The SAO investigates allegations of misuse and/or illegal acts involving state resources.
Persons or entities reporting fraud to the State Auditor's Office do not have to establish probable cause and/or have a suspect.
Information to Provide
Please provide as much detail as necessary so that appropriate action can be taken. This can include the following:
- Your name (optional if you would like to remain anonymous).
- Contact information, such as e-mail, telephone, or address (if using a P.O. Box, please also include a physical address).
- Description of incident (see FAQ for more details).
Matters brought to the attention of the Department in which fraud, waste or abuse of funds may have occurred will be forwarded to the State Auditor’s Office as required by the Texas Government Code, Section 321.022. This includes American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA) funds and Disaster Recovery funds for hurricanes Rita and Ike.
Government Code Section 321.022 COORDINATION OF INVESTIGATIONS.
- If the administrative head of a department or entity that is subject to audit by the state auditor has reasonable cause to believe that money received from the state by the department or entity or by a client or contractor of the department or entity may have been lost, misappropriated, or misused, or that other fraudulent or unlawful conduct has occurred in relation to the operation of the department or entity, the administrative head shall report the reason and basis for the belief to the state auditor. The state auditor may investigate the report or may monitor any investigation conducted by the department or entity.
- The state auditor, in consultation with state agencies and institutions, shall prescribe the form, content, and timing of a report required by this section.
- All records of a communication by or to the state auditor relating to a report to the state auditor under Subsection (a) are audit working papers of the state auditor.